Saturday, August 13, 2011

20110813 : Ps 34 Troubles & Deliveries

(above taken by Gina in Aug 2011, Rinjani mountain trek, Indonesia)

What a glorious awesome looking sunrise or sunset!

Psalm 34 was prompted by an historical event in the life of David, for we read "A Psalm of David, when he changed his behaviour before Abimelech; who drove him away, and he departed" (Psa. 34 heading note). The historical narrative has, "And David arose, and fled that day for fear of Saul, and went to Achish the king of Gath" (I Sam. 21:10). Achish and Abimelech - referring to the same person. (not the Abimelech the priest)

Here we saw David fled from Saul to Achish King of Gath. But he went from the the frying pan to the deep troubled blue sea! So no choice he had to pretend to be insane to sun away from Achish!

So Ps 34 - a psalm of promise not to rely on own strength but to understand the fear of the Lord - the Deliverer of all his troubles! David, a man who had so many troubles, fleeing from one man to another. Yet in the midst of it, David's opening verses 1-3 in this psalm was not of despair but exaltation of His Glorious name. Like beholding the glorious sun in the photo above.

V4-7 I sought the LORD and he answered me, he delivered me from all my fears, those who look to him are radiant; their faces never covered with same. This poor gal called and the Lord heard her, he save her out of all troubles. The angel of the Lord encamps around me who fear him and he delivers me'!

V8-18 I will continue to taste and see the the LORD is good; blessed is me who takes refuge in him. I will fear the Lord and I will lack nothing. I will keep my tongue from evil and my lips from speaking lies. Turn from evil and do good, seek peace and pursue it. The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and the eyes attentive to my cry; the face of the Lord is against those who do evil, to cut off memory of them from the earth. The righteous cry out and the Lord hears me. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves me who is crushed in spirit.

Who says we will not have troubles??

Few days ago, I shared on John 16:33, a beautiful psalm translated to a song in Chinese.

V19-20 A righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers her from them all; he protects her bones and not one of them will be broken.

V21-22 Evil will slay the wicked; the foes of the righteous will be condemned. The LOrd redeems his servant, no one will be condemned who takes refuge in him

AMEN! What a glorious Son of God, Jesus, Yeshua we serve!

P/s My friend who had been climbing many mountains found this Rinjani particularly tough going. After a reported 3-day gruesome day of trekking up this mountain, was a glorious view taken above. I never trekked. My legs and knees cannot take it. But somehow, when this photo was watsapp to me 2 days ago, I was uplifted in my spirit. I had just came down from a lower mountain Cameron Highlands. Back in the valley, tired was I over some work issues. I felt I was then on that mountain top again with my hands held in a V-shape - Yes Lord - You are my Saviour, my strong Deliverer!

There is something awesome about mountains. Guess that's why we use the term -mountain top feeling on high! As I said, I don't trek. I take ski-chairs up the mountains! Having been to the Canadian Rockies thrice in my life, there is no mountain like those I saw over there. Word to describe? AWESOME!

1 comment:

  1. My fellow woman climber, a 44 yr old mother of 3, summited Mount Rinjani shortly behind me, because she saw me ahead and braced herself forward. Anything is possible with God!

    ReplyDelete

20240703 Durian Party @ Beverly!

 ************************ The night of old and new friendships forged.  Old of more than 50 years! New of a first meet by one! Savorinf  the...