Sunday, July 23, 2023

20230722- A joyous moment 惠!





The old block 39 in Queenstown where the story began…

Yesterday, 22/7/23, I attended my tuition gal’s wedding! It was a walk down 20 over years of memory lane. It was one of the most joyous moments in my life. 

We walked into Church of our Saviour in January 1996 after moving out from our previous church The House of Prayer. COOS was just a stone throw from our home. A natural choice upon a friend’s recommendation. My faith actually grew leaps and bounds from here. 

Blk 38 used to be a little hawker centre. We had great breakfast over there. Good coffee by Richard and chee Cheong Fun too! It was at this morning haunt that we met a group of ah ma and ah gong who stayed in the near by blocks. 

Then God arranged me to meet Grandma Kong. She is such a sweet good natured well tempered old lady. Through this simple breaky, one day Grandma Kong asked me to help to tutor her little grand daughter who was struggling in her studies. 

I was not keen then. Cos I had never met her. Also it was to me a “committment”. John on the other hand agreed! He was not the one teaching ! Lol!

I remembered I was hesitant and perhaps through an email to my ex pastor, I put up a little fleece. What was that? Well “ If the little girl approach me personally , not her grandma, only then , will I take up the assignment !” I never dreamt that this was exactly what happened some weeks later! The word “OBEY” was the impetus from my old pastor. I had no choice but to comply! 

So there began the journey tutoring journey from 2002-3.  She was Primary 5 going to 6. At first after a few sessions , I thot I was facing a mountain! I dare not think about doing a miracle in her studies ! LOL.  So week after week , we conducted our lessons in the corridor of her home at blk 39. Got to know her Neighbour M who sold vegetarian food at the same hawker. Her hubby was stroke patient and there was another story with them years later before the hawker centre was supposed to be torn down to make way for the new buildings at Margaret Drive. 

Thanks to the Kings Cell I was then attending. In mid 2003, John had to undergo chemo and Radiation, C , my cell mate came to the rescue to help me stand in for the tuition for this little gal! It was a little relief for me cos I was “blur out” and she was going for her PSLE then and John refused to let me stop the tuition for that season. So Thanks to C. 

About a year ago 2022, during the Chinese New Year visit to Grandma Kong, I was exhilarated to see Qi who happened to working from home.  She had become a believer. Baptised ! Going to be married!

So Fast forward to 22/7/23- her invite to her joyous day. It was mine too! Found this drawing as I was recollecting this occasion. 

God is faithful. 
He always is. 
20 years later, my pride and joy to know that HQ came to know Him. And from her I understand that Grandma Kong had also prayed the sinners prayer with her pastor LP. To me , this is a big relief. Cos I really love this old grandma. A pretty staunch Buddhist who was “gui yi”
Before. Told me she would be doing injustice to her own god before. But today , so glad that HQ was an Acts 16 :39 fulfilled. This is our Lord Jesus Christ. he is faithful 




A walk down 20 years of memory lane. 

A change in the landscape. 

Blk 38 - this iconic rounded building opened by Queen Elizabeth before? I remember I emailed to the Feedback portal back then to appeal for the non tear down of this historical structure. The reply wasn’t that positive I remember. Strange. Somehow , this structure stood in time. In fact it just Re opened in July 2023 this year with new stalls. Am glad it remained. Cos it served good memories for me and Grandma and her family. Amen!



And so COOS has been transformed. The Old has gone and the new has come too!

Reflections

This month alone rocks our Little Red Dot with scandals like no other! From Rideoutgate to Iswarangate and to Affairs of more than 2! 

Marriage. Hmm. 

Thank God for a joyous occasion to lift up such weird and bad news! Lol
A little apron gift to the new couple!
A family that cooks together , eats together? Stays together! LOL. 
Joshua : As for me and my household, …..serve the LORD


********************

Joyous video !


No comments:

Post a Comment

20240703 Durian Party @ Beverly!

 ************************ The night of old and new friendships forged.  Old of more than 50 years! New of a first meet by one! Savorinf  the...