Thursday, February 23, 2012

20120223 :HeBrews 5- Milk Vs Meat->Discern both good and evil


Heb 5:13 -14 "For everyone that uses milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness; for he is a babe. But strong meat belongs to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil"


Last month, I went to watch this musical at the new Marina Grand Theatre.


Wicked is a musical based on the Gregory Maguire novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (1995), a parallel novel of the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz and L. Frank Baum's classic story The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1900). The musical is told from the perspective of the witches of the Land of OzElphaba, the misunderstood girl with emerald-green skin, and Galinda, later Glinda, the beautiful, ambitious and popular blonde.Wicked tells the story in which these two unlikely friends grow to become the Wicked Witch of the West and the Good Witch of the North while struggling through opposing personalities and viewpoints, rivalry over the same love-interest, reactions to the Wizard's corrupt government, and, ultimately, Elphaba's public fall from grace.



In this musical , Glinda & Elphaba sang "

I've heard it said 
That people come into our lives for a reasonBringing something we must learnAnd we are ledTo those who help us most to grow If we let themAnd we help them in returnWell, I don't know if I believe that's trueBut I know I'm who I am todayBecause I knew you:Like a comet pulled from orbitAs it passes a sunLike a stream that meets a boulderHalfway through the woodWho can say if I've been changed for the better?But because I knew youI have been changed for goodELPHABAIt well may beThat we will never meet againIn this lifetimeSo let me say before we partSo much of meIs made of what I learned from youYou'll be with meLike a handprint on my heartAnd now whatever way our stories endI know you have re-written mineBy being my friend:Like a ship blown from its mooringBy a wind off the seaLike a seed dropped by a skybirdIn a distant woodWho can say if I've been changed for the better?But because I knew you:"


Reflections
The above revealed a friendship of change for the better.


Knowing Jesus is a start of that friendship.
As Hebrews 5 had put it, Christ, though he were a Son, yet learned obedience by the things he suffered; and being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him.  Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec (V7-10)


Knowing Jesus allows us to enter into the promise of that chosen generation, a royal priesthood,an holy nation, a peculiar people, that we should show off the praises of him who has called us out of darkness into his marvellous light (1 Peter 2:9)


How long have I known my Jesus?


Recall that first love that was first initiated. 1 Peter 2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that I may grow thereby.


Twenty or more years on now, Heb 5:13 -14 "For everyone that uses milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness; for he is a babe. But strong meat belongs to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil"...am I eating meat? 


The events of the world that is taking place around us - incredible things are happening.  We are bombarded with lots of entertainment that promotes scary songs like the one recently shown at the 54th Grammy award. Top civil servants are found in vice activities.  MP sacked for greater accountability sake.  


Perhaps it is time to eat more meat -so that we can learn to discern the good and evil.  Afterall, knowing our greatest friend Jesus - the hope of a better changed person in His image.

No comments:

Post a Comment

20240703 Durian Party @ Beverly!

 ************************ The night of old and new friendships forged.  Old of more than 50 years! New of a first meet by one! Savorinf  the...